funny reviews or stories of food or food related items; it's NEW FINDOUT of FOOD

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Japanese food @ IZAKAYA NIJUMARU

When I decided to go for Japanese food tonight, IZAKAYA NIJUMARU restaurant (居酒屋 二重丸) is the first comes to my mind.

IZAKAYA NIJUMARU is located in the 2nd floor of the Cuppage Plaza. The first time I went was 5 years ago, recommended by a local friend with unlimited craving for Japanese food. He’s ever claimed that he has been to ALL the Japanese restaurant in Singapore and believe it or not, because of his love for Japanese food (and cartoon books too?), he now speaks fluent Japanese. What an inspiration!!

It’s a very cozy place; you don’t feel like having some serious dinning here, rather a place for you to relax with delicious Japanese food and friends. To most of the Japanese, it is a replacement of the restaurant in the hometown. Thus, all the food is prepared by Japanese which may make them less homesick. There are 3 Japanese chefs take turns to be in the kitchen or at the bar counter. 2 chubby and 1 slim guy with smiles. They are cute as they peep from the kitchen sometimes to see whether the guests enjoy the food they prepare. My friend told me that when Japanese comes to Singapore, they are given a list of Japanese restaurant that they should go for the best Japanese food in town. And this is one of them. I am not sure about this, so if you have more information, please comment.

I always order fish here as they are fresh and nicely prepared. Be it sashimi or shioyaki. Once in a while, they have fishes caught by the day in Japan delivered to the restaurant for guests to enjoy. The price of such fish is slightly higher but still reasonable and within all our reach: Sanma Shioyaki is priced @ S$20. Since the fish is fresh, there is not much a seasoning or spices needed. The chef only puts a bit of special sea salt. And when he grills it, the aroma has filled the room immediately. Today I am in a very good mood so I ordered this pricy dish. When it comes to me, I could not wait to eat it. As usual, I don’t add anything as I want to taste the original fish taste. The texture of the meat is solid but not hard, so once again proves its freshness. The skin is beautifully grilled, not over burned, but crispy. The aroma of the charcoal has blended nicely with the fish which creates a unique taste that is lingered in your mouth; and you just want to keep it there a little longer and try to figure out what taste is this.

With another S$2.50, you get a whole set. It includes rice; miso soup; a side dish and piece of fruits. I highly recommend the side dish. It differs from time to time. It could be stewed chicken or beef with radish etc. And the chef for sure did not spend less effort on it because it’s just a side dish. Actually, quite a few times, I ordered extra side dish or I stole it from my friend’s.

Together with my friend, we spent S$37.88. I would say it’s really worth it! The 2 things you may want to get prepared is that 1) the menu is in Japanese and no picture shown. Though they translate it into English, it’s still difficult for a non-Jap to order. So maybe for the first few times, bring a friend who knows Japanese or ask waitress there for the best food to order. 2) you may smell like the restaurant if there are lots of orders on the charcoal prepared food. So if you have other business or intimate activities immediate after this, please make a different arrangement. I don’t think my client is going to give me the business if I smell like a restaurant =D

Information of the restaurant:
Tel: 6235 6693
Add: 5 Koek Road #02-10/12, Cuppage Plaza, Singapore
Business Hours: Mon-Sat. 12 noon-2.30pm for lunch;
6-11pm for dinner.
Sunday dinner only.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Put some pictures leh :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 PM  

  • Great recommendation. I've been a patron of Izakaya for quite some years and has had many fond memories of the place.

    I'm never bored of the food and especially the nice and relaxing atmosphere.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home